From October/November 2017 issue
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wide slices
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package fully cooked chicken and apple sausage links, sliced on the diagonal
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- Place a large cast-iron skillet in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl toss the rutabaga and fennel with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and add the vegetables.
- Roast for 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the sausage. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the kale and vinegar.
- Immediately cover with a lid or piece of foil. Let rest for 5-10 minutes to wilt the kale.
- Stir once more and serve.