- 2lbs beef round roast
- 1 cup of coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 can of beef broth
- 1-2 tablespoons of salt (we’re adding a lot of water into the slow cooker and you won’t be eating much of the brine, so it’s not that much salt)
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder or minced onion
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of dried or fresh cilantro leaves
- 3-4 star of anise
- 1 tablespoon of Szechuan peppercorns
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Fill the slow cooker with enough water to cover the meat (approximately 4 cups, but this will vary depending on the size of your slow cooker).
- Cook in the slow cooker on low heat for 8 hours.
- Take the meat out of the slow cooker without the brine and let it cool. Then place into the fridge.
- To serve, cut the roast into thin slices and drizzle coconut aminos over it. Alternatively, shred the meat and cook with stir-fries or with cauliflower rice.