From the February/March 20189 issue
- 2 medium cauliflower heads, cored and any outer leaves removed
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 pound chorizo pork sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup marcona almonds or whole roasted almonds, chopped (for garnish)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Using the shredding blade of a food processor, grate the cauliflower. (Alternatively, grate the cauliflower by hand using a box grater.) You should have about 6-7 cups of grated cauliflower. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden utensil, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add the grated cauliflower, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until tender and slightly darker in color.
- Add the paprika and cumin. Stir for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and tomato paste until smooth.
- Add to the skillet and stir to incorporate into the cauliflower rice. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with the almonds and parsley and serve