From the October/November 2017 issue
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (see note below)
- 2-1/2 cups canned coconut milk (about 1-1/2 cans)
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- For topping: sliced bananas, shredded coconut, coconut milk, and maple syrup (optional)
Combine the squash, coconut milk, coconut, bananas, cinnamon, and salt in a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender to break down the squash a bit while still leaving it textural. Serve in bowls with desired toppings.
Note: To cook spaghetti squash, poke the squash all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Place on a baking sheet and roast for about 1 hour at 400ºF or until easily pierced through with a knife. Cool for 30 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the seed cavity. Discard. Shred up the flesh of the squash into spaghetti-like strands with a fork. Shredded squash can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.