From the June/July 2012 issue
By: Michelle Tam – nomnompaleo.com
- 1 lb of lump crab meat
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP Paleo mayonnaise
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Juice from ½ a lime
- Freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 8 sheets of toasted nori
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 small Japanese or Persian cucumbers, cut into matchsticks
- Handful radish sprouts or micro greens
- Combine crab, scallions, mayonnaise, pepper flakes, and lime juice in a large bowl. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut each piece of nori in half width-wise.
- Place the nori shiny side down on the work surface. Put two tablespoons of crab salad on the left side of the nori. The filling should be at a diagonal, running from the top left corner to the bottom center of the nori. Top the crab with a slice of avocado and cucumber and some sprouts.
- Fold the bottom left corner over the filling before wrapping the long part of the nori around the crab and vegetables to form a cone.
- Eat immediately before the nori gets soft.
• 1 large egg yolk
• ½ tsp kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
• 1 tsp white vinegar
• 3/4 cup macadamia nut oil
6. Whisk the yolk vigorously in a medium bowl for 15 seconds.
7. Add everything except the oil and whisk until the yolk thickens (around 30 seconds).
8. Dribble 1/4 cup of the oil in a thin stream while whisking vigorously (~1 minute). Keep the bowl in place by placing it on a rubber mat and tie a towel around the base. If there’s someone else in the house, recruit him or her to slowly pour in the oil while you whisk.
9. After the oil is incorporated, slowly add the second 1/4 cup of oil and incorporate it the same way as the first (~30 seconds). Add the last 1/4 cup of oil all at once and whisk briskly to completely emulsify. Set aside 2 tablespoons for the hand rolls and store the rest in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.