From the June/July 2015 issue
- 4 medium zucchinis, ends trimmed,
- cut in half lengthwise
- 1 TBSP coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- Sea salt, to taste
For the garnish:
- Chopped scallions
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Sliced black olives
- Diced avocado
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Scoop the seeds from the zucchini halves using a spoon or melon baller, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell.
- Place the zucchini in boiling water and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the water and arrange the zucchini, hollow side up, in a large glass
- baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high.
- Add the ground beef.
- Cook, breaking up with a wooden utensil, until almost cooked through—about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, chili powder, cumin, garlic and tomato paste.
- Cook, stirring often, for 3–5 minutes.
- Stir in salsa.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt.
- Divide the meat among the hollowed-out zucchini halves.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25–30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with garnish and serve.