This warm kale salad makes for a perfect lunch on a chilly winter day.
Serves: 2-3 | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 TBSP avocado oil, divided use
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided use
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 bunch of kale, large stems removed, chopped
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the squash on the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil. Sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the cinnamon. Toss gently to coat. Spread the squash in an even layer and roast in the oven until fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the kale to a medium bowl and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of avocado oil, the lemon juice, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. With your hands, massage the oil, lemon, and salt into each leaf for about 5 minutes. (This decreases the bitterness and helps tenderize the raw kale.)
- Add the sunflower seeds, bacon, and cooked squash. Stir to combine and serve.